Cruises are one of the best ways to travel the world. You can visit your dream destinations and travel comfortably along the way. With the smaller cruise ships we have at Windstar, you can explore the world in a way that travelers on larger cruise ships can’t. Skip overcrowded ports and visit the nooks and crannies that large ships can’t navigate.
At Windstar, we offer a wide variety of adventures for our travelers. Here are 10 of our unique cruise experiences we think you should know about.
Our Unique Cruise Experiences
At Windstar, we offer several unique cruise adventures.
London to Reykjavik – 10 Days: Window Shop in Colorful Bryggen
During your 10-day trip through the sparkling Norwegian fjords, you’ll see Icelandic geysers and explore the beautiful Faroe Islands and age-old Scottish standing stones. Soak in the beautiful sights and sounds –– lands lauded in Viking sagas and the echo of Old Norse tongues.
Take advantage of your overnight stay in Bergen so that you can fully appreciate its history. Stroll along the Bryggen pier, Bergen’s old Hanseatic wharf. Do some window shopping and enjoy dinner in a beautifully preserved merchant house.
On your cruise vacation, you can also:
- View the Seven Sisters Waterfall and abandoned farms along Geirangerfjord
- See St. Magnus Cathedral, Earl’s and Bishop’s Palaces and enjoy some whiskey or 12-year-old Scotch during your overnight stay in Kirkwall
- Explore by kayak, bicycle, hike or RIB boat
- Admire the art nouveau town, Alesund
- Hike the remote Faroe Islands and spot villages with turf roofs
- Hop on a boat to Vestmanna Cliffs, filled with nesting seabirds
- Relax in the waters of the Blue Lagoon in Iceland near Reykjavik before your flight home
With all the unique experiences this cruise has to offer, you’ll enjoy your trip every step of the way.
Seward (Anchorage) to Vancouver – 11 Days: Dogsled on the Mendenhall Glacier
Ready for the Alaskan cruise of a lifetime? On this 11-day adventure from Seward, you can explore the natural setting of Prince William Sound that is inaccessible to bigger cruise ships. After leaving Seward, you’ll visit College Fjord, Valdez, Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait Point, Point Adolphus, Juneau, Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Wrangell, Petersburg and Prince Rupert. This journey is optimized for our smaller ships with stops in uncrowded, quaint harbors and coastlines rich in roaming wildlife, huge peaks and stunning waterfalls.
In Juneau, you can dogsled on the Mendenhall Glacier, guiding your dogsled team with calls of “Gee” and “Haw.” For many of our cruisers, dogsledding on Mendenhall Glacier stands out as one of their favorite travel memories of their journey.
What other experiences will you enjoy on this Alaskan cruise?
- A feeding area for humpback whales at Point Adolphus
- A helicopter ride to view dozens of glaciers, along with landings for glacier hikes
- A jet boat ride along the Stikine River in Wrangell
- A seaplane ride to explore the wilderness of Prince Rupert
- A kayak trip along Endicott Arm
This Alaskan voyage is a unique, once-in-a-lifetime experience you won’t want to miss!
Hong Kong to Cairns – 27 Days: Find the Floating Mosque of Makassar
During your 27-day cruise from Hong Kong to Cairns, you’ll explore uncrowded beaches and unspoiled settings with visits to China, Indonesia, the Philippines and Australia. Along the way, you’ll visit the Hundred Islands, Manila, Boracay, Coron/Busuanga Island, Palawan Puerto Princesa, Makassar, Benoa, Loh Liang, Sandakan, Lembar, Ende, Triton Bay, Pulau Banda, Kokas, Lizard Island and Thursday Island. Don’t worry about packing a full wardrobe for a nearly-month long vacation. We offer complimentary daily laundry services so that you can pack lightly.
One of the most notable experiences on our cruise is finding the floating mosque of Makassar. This popular attraction is located on Losari Beach and is the perfect place to enjoy a beautiful sunset.
Beyond the floating mosque of Makassar, this voyage includes:
- A chance to explore the villages in Indonesia and their cultures, such as Triton Bay, Pulau Banda and Kokas
- A swim in Hundred Islands National Park’s clear waters
- A boat trip along the Subterranean River, one of the seven wonders of the world
- A snorkeling adventure in Coron’s Twin Lagoons and Siete Pecados
- A chance to see the Komodo dragons at Loh Liang
- An opportunity on Thursday Island to hold a koala
- A view of the beautiful Great Barrier Reef
You’ll have countless adventures on this 27-day voyage from Hong Kong to Cairns!
Athens to Athens – 11 Days: Find the Cave of Philoctetes on Lemnos
Ready for an 11-day cruise through the Eastern Mediterranean? With our smaller ships at Windstar, our cruise line explores areas that are inaccessible to larger ships. During your trip, you’ll visit Corinth Canal, Delphi, Santorini, Mykonos, Scenic Cruising Dardanelles, Istanbul and more.
One of the most exciting highlights of our cruise from Athens to Athens is the legendary cave of Philoctetes. This cave is found under the Sanctuary of Kaviria and named after the legend of Philoctetes.
On this cruise, you can also:
- Visit the site of the Olympic games near Katakolon
- Explore the Kioutsouk Hassan Mosque and the Arabian Lighthouse in Chania
- Travel along the narrow Corinth Canal, a shortcut that’s reserved for smaller ships like ours
- Hunt for treasure in Grand Bazaar, where Istanbul’s friendly Turkish people are likely to offer you a cup of tea while you browse the shops
- Visit the clifftop town of Oia in Santorini
- Explore the Blue Mosque, the Grand Bazaar and the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul
Enjoy the various memorable experiences offered on this 11-day adventure!
Copenhagen to Stockholm – 10 Days: Tour the Incredible Hermitage
Visit seven beautiful countries and nine magical cities on your journey from Copenhagen to Stockholm. After leaving Copenhagen, you’ll visit Bornholm, Klaipeda, Gdansk, Helsinki, Tallinn and St. Petersburg before reaching Stockholm. Enjoy the vibrant cultures and gorgeous scenery of these various cities.
One of the best highlights of this 10-day trip is the chance to tour the incredible Hermitage. The Hermitage is ranked as one of the finest museums in the world, so it’s a stop you’ll definitely want to include in your itinerary.
What other experiences will you enjoy on this Baltic cruise?
- Two days of exploration in St. Petersburg during your overnight stay
- The breathtaking Stockholm Archipelago
- Medieval Tallinn’s pedestrian streets surrounded by years of history
- Kayaking through the Finnish Archipelago
- A taste of Bornholm’s smoked herring
- A visit to Helsinki’s Stone Church, which is carved out of rock
- A shopping trip in Gdansk’s Old Town for amber, the Baltic Sea’s prized souvenir
This Baltic voyage is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure you won’t want to miss!
Vancouver to San Diego – 10 Days: Witness the Powerful Multnomah Falls
Travel along the West Coast over 10 exciting days from Vancouver to San Diego. Enjoy stops in Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Monterey and San Diego. Enjoy dining options from food trucks to fine restaurants to farmers’ markets throughout the various ports. This cruise is perfect for anyone who has an appetite for life and adventure.
When you travel along the Columbia River, you can make a short trip to Multnomah Falls to witness their cascading power. The Columbia River Gorge is the U.S.’s largest National Scenic Area, so it should be a must-stop on your voyage.
Beyond witnessing the Multnomah Falls, this voyage includes:
- Wine tasting in Oregon’s Willamette Valley and Sonoma
- A cable car trip for lunch in San Francisco’s Chinatown
- Cannery Row, Monterey’s famous spot to get a taste of wild California sardines
- Flowers, handicrafts and fresh food at Pike Place Market in Seattle
- A view from under the Golden Gate Bridge and a visit to the waterfront
- Hosted dinners with wine pairings
With all the unique experiences this cruise offers, there’s no doubt you’ll enjoy your trip at every stop!
Benoa to Singapore – 14 Days: Relax on the Soft-Sand Beaches of Bali
Ready for a unique Indonesian voyage? Over 14 days, you’ll travel from Benoa to Singapore with stops in Lembar, Celukan Bawang, Probolinggo, Pulau Menyawakan, Semarang, Krakatoa, Pantara Island and Pulau Bintan. Explore the beauty, small villages, artistry and calm waters of Bali.
Our travelers love relaxing on the soft sands of Bali’s tropical paradise. The time will fly by as you enjoy your time in the sun on one of these beautiful beaches.
On this cruise, you can also:
- Visit the largest Buddhist temple complex, Borobudur, near Semarang
- Sample a satay topped with peanut sauce
- Feel the volcanic black sand of Lovina Beach
- Spot three Indonesian volcanoes, including Mount Bromo, Mount Batur and Krakatoa
- Explore ports off the beaten path, such as Seribu
- Enjoy the culture of Lombok at Sasak Native Village
- Shop for wood carvings and Balinese crafts
- Explore the rainforests, diverse reef system and white-sand beaches of Pulau Menyawakan
- Snorkel in the turquoise water to swim with the abundant marine life and view the coral reefs
- Visit a village on Lombok and interact with the Sasak tribe
- Shop in Singapore
You’ll love the countless adventures experienced on this 14-day voyage from Benoa to Singapore!
Colón to Lisbon – 26 Days: Dive and Snorkel at Bonaire’s National Marine Park
Explore the Caribbean and the Atlantic on this cruise from Colón to Lisbon with stops in Cartegena, Oranjestad, Willemstad, Virgin Gorda, Gustavia and St. Maarten. You won’t need to pack an entire month’s worth of clothing, as we offer complimentary laundry service daily.
An experience you won’t forget is a trip diving and snorkeling among the 340-plus fish species in Bonaire’s National Marine Park.
What other experiences can you partake in on this cruise from Colón to Lisbon?
- A stop in Aruba for a bit of beach time, some of the best beaches you can find in the Caribbean
- A view of the vibrantly colored buildings in Willemstad
- Shopping in St. Barts
- Horse and carriage rides through Cartagena
- The view from the Belém Tower in Lisbon, which greeted returning seafarers for hundreds of years
Enjoy all the memorable experiences included on this 26-day voyage!
Vancouver to Yokohama (Tokyo) – 28 Days: Go Bear-Viewing in Kodiak
Journey on a 28-day cruise from Alaska to Japan. You’ll visit 11 sites in Alaska and along the Aleutians, including Icy Strait Point and Kenai Fjords National Park. You’ll embark on the Pacific crossing from Dutch Harbor, spending a week at sea and crossing the International Date Line. The final three stops are in Japan. Along the way, you’ll find caribou, moose and bears, along with calving glaciers in Endicott Arm and Tracy Arm. Our complimentary daily laundry service will allow you to pack lightly for your nearly month-long trip.
Along the way, we’ll stop at the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge, which is home to more than 3,500 brown bears.
During this voyage, you may also want to:
- View the incredible Tracy Arm, Petroglyph Beach located in Wrangell and totems of Ketchikan.
- Spot the crab port at Dutch Harbor that was featured on the reality show “The Deadliest Catch”
- Hike, fish and view wildlife in Haines
- Travel to Lemon Creek Glacier or Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau
- Use your binoculars or camera while cruising the Inside Passage to spot wildlife
With all the various adventures you’ll find on this cruise, you’ll undoubtedly enjoy every moment of your trip!
Cozumel to St. Maarten – 11 Days: Peer Into the Bottomless Blue Lagoon
For 11 days, enjoy a cruise through the Greater Antilles from Cozumel to St. Maarten. During your trip, you’ll visit Grand Cayman, Port Antonio, Cayman Brac, Jost Van Dyke, Santo Domingo, Great Harbour and Virgin Gorda. When you cruise the Greater Antilles, you’ll discover magical places. You’ll bypass the crowds in Ocho Rios and Montego Bay and instead enjoy the wonder of Port Antonio. Relax on the white-sand beaches, swim under waterfalls and dive down to pirate shipwrecks.
Make a stop at the famous Blue Lagoon in Jamaica. This is a sight you definitely won’t want to miss.
Beyond peering into the bottomless Blue Lagoon, this voyage includes:
- Grand Cayman for a day of snorkeling in the waters of La Romana
- Stingray City in Grand Cayman, where you can swim and feed stingrays
- The largest botanical garden in the Caribbean
- White-sand beaches and turquoise waters in Virgin Gorda
- El Meco’s Mayan Temple
- Colombia Reefs in Cozumel
- Palancar, where you can spot sea turtles
This Greater Antilles journey is a once-in-a-lifetime experience you won’t want to miss!
Book Your Cruise of a Lifetime With Windstar
Ready to experience these unique, exciting adventures for yourself? Explore our cruise options at Windstar today! You’ll visit the destination of your dreams and explore the world from a new perspective. Whether you want to go bear-viewing or snorkeling, Windstar has the cruise option that’s right for you.